Do you want to learn how to create an ebook and start selling right now? then you’re definitely in the right place!
Ebook publishing has become a trendy way to publish books. With ebook publishing, you can self-publish your book and deliver it to your readers online. It is an excellent option to publish a book without relying on a traditional publisher. You also have the freedom to control the book’s content and how it is presented.
Statistics revealed that the total sales revenue of ebooks in the US skyrocketed to $1.1 billion in 2020, the previous year being $900 million. This increase was likely due to people turning to ebooks as their preferred reading format.
Steps to Create an Ebook From Scratch
Ebook creation does not have to be tedious. You can create and also publish your content in a fun and easy way. So… since you came here to learn the steps to make an Ebook, we have outlined a step-by-step guide below.
This guide will show you how to create an ebook from scratch to finish. But first, you will need a computer with access to the internet and a word processing program. Then, follow these simple steps:
- Choose a topic for your ebook: Topic selection is one of the most important aspects of content creation and ebook publishing. It is because you need something exciting and valuable to say that people will want to read.
- Decide on what you want your ebook to comprise: After selecting a topic, you must decide on what you want your ebooks to be based on. For instance, if you choose a topic around a specific fruit, will your Ebook be based on how to plant the fruit, different recipes for the specific fruit or the health benefit of the fruit.
- Write an outline of your book: Outline guide and allow authors to follow an orderly structure while writing. This allows the ebook to follow a regular pattern and will help you organize your thoughts while keeping track of where you are in the process.
- Create a table of contents for your book: A table of contents will help readers quickly find the information they are looking for. It is usually written on the first few pages of the ebook.
- Research the best formatting practices for ebooks: The best formatting practice will keep your ebook organized, neat, and presentable. This includes things like font size, margins, and also spacing between paragraphs.
- Gather your content: This is the stage where you start writing your content. Ensure you have done thorough research, fact-checked and have enough information before or while writing. This will allow you to write original and beneficial content. Also, avoid plagiarising already written content. You may be penalized or sued for copyright infringement.
- Proofread your content: Ensure that your contents are well-formatted and free from errors and grammatical mistakes. If you find it challenging to proofread, you may hire someone to proofread on freelancing platforms like Upwork.
- Design your book cover: Most books are often judged by their book covers nowadays. A blurry or gloomy book cover design will send a wrong impression to your readers that the book may not be worth it since the book cover does not reflect professionalism. So invest in book cover design. You can also hire a professional to handle this aspect.
- Format your ebook: You may choose to format your ebook into ePub, PDF, or Kindle book before uploading it to the Amazon Kindle Publishing Platform
- Decide on Price: When deciding your ebook price, you need to consider many factors such as the cost of content creation, design, effort investment and so on. However, do not overprice your book, as it may discourage your readers from buying.
Bonus Point: Distribute and market your ebook. Distributing and marketing is the last step in ebook publishing. Distribute it to retail sellers and market it online for maximum publicity.
10 Simple Ebook Ideas to Easily Create an Ebook Right Now
Creating an ebook is a very simple process, however, it’s only simple if you have the right tools and information at your disposal. We have listed ten simple ebook ideas to get you started:
- Create a how-to ebook
- Write a personal narrative ebook
- Create a business guide ebook
- Produce an e-course series
- Write a book of tips and tricks
- Share your expert opinion in an ebook
- Offer a free sample chapter from your forthcoming book
- Write a cheatsheet
- Create ebook templates
- Write memoir ebooks
How do I Make an Ebook Layout?
Since you already know how to create your ebook and what kind of ebooks you can create, the next is to find out what the ebook layout should look like.
Top 10 Essential Elements of an Ebook
What should an ebook include? below are the Essential Elements of a Great Ebook Design.
- An interesting title.
- A nice book cover
- An author page
- A table of contents
- A chapter title pages for each chapter
- Visual elements, illustrations or charts within the ebook
- Call to action for your products or services
- Device friendly (Desktop, tab or mobile)
Since we have an article that outlines the Top 10 Essential Elements of an Ebook, we only outlined 8 tips here. But you can click here to see it all.
Need a better breakdown of this section? Then it would be best if you also read our article on – Top 10 Essential Elements of an Ebook
How to Sell an Ebook From Scratch
If you want to sell an ebook yourself, you’ll need to generate some content and write a sales pitch before marketing it. Below are the top 5 steps to help you simplify the process:
- Research Your Market
Before writing any content, you need to understand your target audience. Are they avid readers? Do they prefer ebooks over paperbacks? If you have questions about your target market, speak to other ebook authors or look online for surveys and market data.
- Write a Compelling Sales Pitch
Your goal is to convince someone to buy your ebook. To do this, you must provide valuable information not available elsewhere. In addition, you must make your ebook seem the best option possible.
- Format your manuscript correctly
Your formatting should be professional and error-free. Use headings and subheadings when necessary, and spell out numbers.
- Upload to publishing Platforms
Amazon Kindle Publishing is one of the eBay options you can consider. It allows authors to publish directly and earn royalties while totally controlling their contents and profit.
- Optimize Your Ebook For Organic Traffic
Most Authors do not know they can drive organic traffic from the Google search engine to their dashboard. Therefore, it’s recommended that you research, collect keywords and use them in optimizing your Ebook.
- Devise a Marketing Strategy
There is no magic anywhere. You still need to market and run some paid advertisements on your Ebook to get maximum publicity and the right audience.
Why You Should Start Creating an Ebook This Year
Creating an ebook this year is a great way to publish your content and build your audience. Although there are many reasons why starting an ebook this year is a good idea, we have listed some:
- Ebooks are growing in popularity, with over 50% of Americans saying they’d read one if it were available.
- There’s no need to wait for publishers to permit you to publish your work – you can start selling ebooks on your platform immediately.
- Ebook creation can be a fun and creative process, allowing you to showcase your writing skills and create something unique.
- Building an ebook publisher community can help you share your content with a broader audience, increasing exposure and potential sales.
If you are interested in self-publishing and selling your work, this guide is a great place to start. With some research and careful planning, you can create and sell your Ebook from scratch. So what are you waiting for?
Get started NOW! – Grab our FREE ebook templates
Frequently Asked Questions on How To Create an Ebook
Yes, but not all ebooks and this depends on where you are publishing or promoting your ebook.
For example, if you are working with Amazon KDP, Amazon will assign a 10-digit ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) to your book. This number is unique to your ebook and is an identification number for the book on Amazon.com.
Your ebook layout is basically that which determines the elements of the ebook and we already outlined vital elements for your ebook in this article
This is a ready-made template which you can edit to suit your ebook. We have ready-made ebook templates here for you – visit our store and select templates to find them.
Yes, you definitely can. However, some platforms or ebook creation sites are paid. We have free ebook templates you can use to start your ebook journey, check our store to find them.
You can sell your ebook forever without an expiration (depending on the platform where you are selling). Industry practice requires that you update your ebook by versions, especially how-to tutorial books that thrive on industry trends.
Furthermore, digital license expiration and access vary by publisher and book, eg Digital rentals/e-Rental expire after a set number of days from purchase.
An eBook cannot be printed in its entirety. This is a result of limitations set by copyright and publisher constraints. However, each ebook typically allows you to print a portion of it. Our ebooks can be downloaded to your personal computer or device as well.
Ebooks do not have fixed page numbers like print books. You only have page numbers if you decide to add one. Although this also depends on the tool/software you are using to design your ebook -some software automatically adds numbers.
We wrote an article that covers this, search our blog for Top 10 Simple Ebook Ideas to Create Right Now.
Subscribe to our newsletter!